Tuesday, November 19, 2013


at our wedding ~ December 2011
Last Monday, I got a text message from my Mama letting me know that my Mamal (great grandmother) had fallen and was at the hospital.

With her age and recently failing health, my heart sank knowing a fall would certainly cause complications for her.

I waited for an update and prayed that she would be heading home after getting checked out, but as the day progressed and tests were run it was clear that she wouldn't be recovering from this.

She was bleeding internally, but was in so much pain that she requested that no more tests be run. Due to her heart failure and age, they wouldn't be able to do surgery anyway.

On Tuesday, the doctor cautioned us that she may not make it through the night so I made the decision to head to Maryland. I was going to drive myself down Wednesday morning, but my Daddy offered to drive up and pick LG and I up Tuesday night.

So I packed a bag and took a dress for the funeral just in case.

When I arrived at the hospital on Wednesday, Mamal was sleeping. She woke up to greet me with a smile on her face. I was so thankful that I made it in time.

She looked at LG and said, "Hi, Londyn Grace!" Later, while standing by her bed, she looked up at me and said, "I Love You!" That alone was worth the trip.

Wednesday afternoon she was transferred to my Mom Mom's (grandmother) house under hospice care.

We spent Wednesday through Friday there and though she slept most of the time, I was just so grateful to have those days with her.

I know I am incredibly blessed to have had 26 years with my great grandmother and to have lived twenty minutes from her for the first 24 years of my life! I count it a privilege to call her one of my greatest friends!

As we drove back to NJ Saturday evening, the tears started flowing as the reality of not having Mamal here much longer sunk in.

Our Tuesday night dinner dates that were the highlight of my week for the five years that I was teaching. I can see the smile on her face as I walked into the kitchen. Wiping her hands on her apron, she'd kiss me hello and ask how I was doing. The fridge stocked with Sprite and Zebra Cakes, I'd sometimes snack if dinner wasn't quite ready. She always cooked a three course meal just for the two of us! {And always cut the fat off of my pork chops because she knew I didn't like it even though I was 20 something and perfectly capable of doing it myself!} Sitting down at the table, she take my hand and ask me to say Grace. Then she listened as I talked about my students and always wanted me to take another helping. After we were finished, she would pack up the leftovers so I could take them for lunch the next day. 

In the last two years since I've been married and living four hours from her, we would talk on the phone weekly. She'd say, "Do you know what day it is?! It's our day, Tuesday, the day you'd come to eat with me. I miss that." 

I miss that, too, Mamal. Oh what I would give for just one more Tuesday night!

As of today, she is still hanging on. They haven't really given us a time frame yet as to how much longer they think she will last, but she is in a lot of pain.

I love this picture SO much!

As much as I want to keep her here, I know her heart and her body are aching for Heaven. This coming March marks her 94th birthday and from the look of things it will be the first spent with Jesus.


  1. So so sorry for your whole family! Praying for you all.

  2. What a beautiful post! How precious you had all those Tuesdays (and many other moments) with her! A true blessing! I'll be praying for all of you.